Saturday, March 1, 2008

A week of firsts

I started classes this past week, and I have to say it was a bit tough to get in the mode of studying again. But I have really enjoyed my classes so far, and I think they provide a sense of normalcy and routine to my life. I’m studying TESOL or Teaching English as a Second Language, a field that is not only useful if I decide to keep traveling but it’s also right in line with my study of linguistics. My classmates vary in age and nationality, so it has been really exciting to meet the other students and discover their background and perspective on language.

I have been working hard to get involved with Rotary and on campus, so that I can maximize the number of people that I meet and also to simply be useful to others.

Last Sunday, after church, I attended “Trash and Treasure,” a Rotary project in which they rent out stalls to vendors every week and raise money for different projects. People were selling anything from chickens, to vegetables, to old carburetors, to baseball caps. It was like a huge garage sale! I helped a bit with the cleanup and was rewarded with 3 loaves of bread that were donated to the Rotary Club, so my housemates were also thankful for my participation in this program.

Throughout the week, I have met with the Japan Club and have made several new Japanese friends who are eager to practice their English. I have met with a Chilean Spanish teacher with whom I hope to teach some Spanish night classes, and I have met an Indonesian who wants me to teach him Spanish. I visited the War Memorial with my host counselor, Ian, who also happens to be a tour guide for the memorial, so I had a very thorough guide. I attended Rotary and Rotaract meetings and met several kind and enthusiastic people. And I attended my first Rugby Union match here in Canberra. One of the Rotarians, Keith, his wife, Vivienne, and a couple of their friends included me in their group to attend the game. The Brumbies won 41-6 against the Queensland Reds, and I have to tell you that I haven’t been that excited about a game since the Aggies beat the Longhorns in November! Before the game, I also ate my very first fish and chips (French fries). It was about the same quality of food as eating a hotdog at a baseball game, but it’s all a part of the experience.

So all together, it has been a wonderfully full week.

Please look through the pictures that I posted, so that you can see a bit of what I have been involved in.

Thank you always.

No comments: